My third regular dish is another pasta - this time my favorite, the penne. Since it doesn't use a boxed grocery like the Mountain Couscous or Elevated Mac & Cheese, you'll need to automatically double everything in this recipe for two servings.
- 1/3 cup of penne pasta
- 1/4 cup of salami or pre-cooked chicken breasts - sliced into cubes about the width and height of a penny
- 1/4 cup of feta or goat cheese - sliced into cubes like the salami
- 1/4 cup of sundried tomatoes
- Optional - olive oil and garlic
- Start the stove and put a pot of water on
- When the water is boiling, add the pasta. If your stove doesn't simmer well, I've discovered that you can bring the pasta to a rolling boil, let it begin to froth up, then shut off the stove before it boils over. Wait a minute, then re-light the stove and repeat. Do this as many times as necessary until the pasta tastes ready. This technique is really necessary for canister stoves like the Jetboil and Reactor.
- When the pasta is ready, drain the water and spoon the pasta into a bowl
- Add the salami or chicken, cheese, tomatoes and the optional olive oil and garlic
- Stir and serve
Enjoy! This is the shortest menu in my trio, but a welcome change from my Elevated Mac & Cheese when the summer days get warm.